NCC continues to work with Rhode Island to provide resources, guidance and facilitation for five priority initiatives of the RI Department of Education. These initiatives include the development of a Teaching and Learning Hub to share evidence-based practices under ESSA, support to implement new state legislation in the areas of curriculum and professional learning, and to provide guidance to support teacher retention in turnaround schools.
Our state activities consist of:
- Facilitating a cross-agency task force to support the design and development of a RI Teaching and Learning Hub, which will provide statewide guidance and dissemination of evidence-based practices as defined under the Every Student Succeeds Act.
- Supporting the development of Rhode Island Professional Learning Standards, and engaging with a national work group to support school and district implementation of Professional Learning Standards.
- Facilitating regular meetings of the RI Talent for Turnaround team to support strategic development, implementation and dissemination to address teacher induction and retention turnaround schools.
- Providing ongoing consultation to RIDE’s Educator Effectiveness workgroup to support RIDE’s development of model teacher evaluation systems, and providing assistance for RIDE to engage in the Great Teachers and Leaders Collaborative for Continuous Improvement for Education Effectiveness Systems.
- Nancy Gerzon, State Liaison
- Johanna Barmore
- Felicia Brown
- Kathy Dunne
- Carol Keirstead
Contact Nancy Gerzon, the State Liaison, for more information or support.