The Northeast Comprehensive Center (NCC) continues to build on technical assistance and professional development activities with the New York State Education Department (NYSED) that were initiated over the past five years. Current work supports the implementation of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) consolidated state plan and other priorities set forth by the Board of Regents.
Our state activities consist of:
- Supporting the state in the identification of evidence-based interventions, particularly for the most chronically underperforming schools. NCC activities include providing guidance on the design of tools and resources to build the capacity around the identification, use, and evaluation of appropriate evidence-based strategies.
- Helping the Office of Early Learning and Office of Curriculum and Instruction to revise and align existing Pre-K standards to the newly released state Next Generation Standards. This includes helping the state to develop the capacity to support implementation, coordinating a statewide institute to support implementation, partnering with early learning groups to ensure alignment and consistent messaging, and serving as a member of the Early Learning Standards Task Force.
- Providing assistance to the state in the revision of the School Library Media Program Evaluation rubric, which helps to promote strong school library programs. NCC activities include assisting in the management of the revision process, including convening and guiding stakeholders through the process.
- Assisting the Office of Bilingual Education and World Languages in the development of a diagnostic tool to be used in site visits to monitor programs that serve English Language Learner/Multilingual Learner (ELL/MLL) populations. This includes providing research findings on existing ELL/MLL diagnostic tools used by SEAs to assess programs and services for ELL/MLL students and support around piloting the draft tool.
- Supporting the Office of Educational Design & Technology to help districts utilize technology to support culturally- and linguistically-responsive learning environments. NCC activities include assisting the state to develop and disseminate resources such as instructional models, strategic planning documents, and stakeholder engagement resources.
- Jack Schwarz, State Liaison
- Everett Barnes
- Larry Hirsch
- Sarah Hughes
- Lee Rutledge
- Anushka Shirali
Contact Jack Schwarz, the State Liaison, for more information or support.