New York State Department of Labor has released the highly anticipated CareerZone Informational Video Series. The CareerZone Informational Video Series, seven three to five minute videos on New York State Department of Labor’s CareerZone (https://www.careerzone.ny.gov), informs parents/guardians, educators, school counselors, and students of the importance of college and career readiness and how CareerZone can prepare students for enrollment and success in college and entry into meaningful careers.
The CareerZone Informational Video Series was developed through a partnership between New York State Department of Labor (NYSDOL), the Northeast Comprehensive Center, WNET Channel Thirteen, and New York State Education Department (NYSED). The video series was filmed at New York City Department of Education’s Herbert H. Lehman High School and included its students and staff who provided testimonials about how the online career exploration tool has transformed student preparation and planning for college and career. Agency representatives and teachers from the Capital District also provided testimonials about their experience using CareerZone and the benefits they saw in their students’ use.
Along with the testimonials, the CareerZone Informational Video Series examines tools and features that support students’ preparation and planning for college and career. The video series also highlights how the tools and resources can be utilized to support student preparation and planning for college and career. The following represent the topics in each video:
- Overview of the New York State CareerZone website;
- Overview of “My Portfolio” and how it assists students in planning after high school;
- Examination of how CareerZone assists students in meeting the requirements of Career Development & Occupational Studies (CDOS) Learning Standards;
- Guidance on how CareerZone assessments aids students in identifying occupations that align with their interests; Insight on the duties and tasks of occupations of interest, including their wages and required skills, through “Occupation Profile”;
- Development of financial literacy skills through the self budgeting tool, Dollars and $ense; and
- Awareness on how to apply to jobs through CareerZone tools Resume Builder, Cover Letter Generator and Reference List.
In addition to the videos, New York State Department of Labor developed companion tip sheets targeted to distinct stakeholder groups (e.g. teachers, students, school counselors, and parents) further explicating how they can use CareerZone to enhance students’ college and career preparation and planning.
To learn more about New York State CareerZone and how it supports students in planning for the future, watch the CareerZone Informational Video Series, click here.
To download the CareerZone Informational Video Series Stakeholder Companion Tip Sheets, click here.