The Northeast Comprehensive Center provides support to the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (ESE) to assist agency leaders in designing and leading priority initiatives identified by the Commissioner and agency leaders. Our work is carried out over time with ongoing assistance provided to build leadership, structural, and systems capacity to help the ESE meet its aims.
Our state activities consist of:
- Supporting the Office Language Acquisition (OLA) to develop a common, unifying statewide vision for what an excellent education looks like for ELs. In addition, this vision will then be unpacked in order to create an accompanying EL Blueprint—a clear, sound educational theory and a theory of action and a clear set of expectation leading to college, career and civic readiness. In addition to the EL vision and blueprint, DESE also wishes to create a statewide roadmap for its English learners to help LEAs more easily find and use Office of Language Acquisition (OLA) guidance and information.
- NCC provides strategic assistance in designing and facilitating meetings of the ESE and its workgroup in the development of the SEI guidance document and resources.
- Supporting the Office of Best Practices in School Turnaround to expand the suite of best practice videos created with NCC support over the past three years. Having created eleven videos that feature research based practices in successful school turnaround, NCC is working with ESE to create additional videos and resources that will feature best practices in the Turnaround Practices in Achievement Gain Schools Video Series.
- NCC will also support the Office of Best Practices in School Turnaround to develop communications resources that help LEAs and schools understand how state supports for Comprehensive Support and Intervention (CSI) and Targeted Support and Intervention (TSI) schools benefit the field.
- Amanda Trainor, State Liaison
- Cerelle Morrow
- Andrea Reade
Contact Amanda Trainor, the State Liaison, for more information or support.