The Northeast Comprehensive Center is working with the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s (MA ESE) English as a Second Language Model Curriculum Unit (ESL MCU) team and the Office of English Language Acquisition and Academic Achievement (OELAAA) to support the continued development and implementation of model ESL curriculum units. The ESL MCUs take a functional approach to language teaching and are organized around the WIDA Key Uses of Academic Language and Standards Framework. ESL units are focused on systematic, explicit, and sustained language development within the context of the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks. Each ESL MCU connects to key linguistic demands from an existing content area MCU in ELA, math, social studies and science, but the primary purpose of these ESL units is that of focused and dedicated language study. The ESL MCUs are being piloted and the revised units and accompanying documents and supports are expected to be rolled out in the 2016-2017 school year.
- Regional Convening: Building Field Capacity Around the Use of Evidence
- Focusing More on Learning and Less on Test Scores
- Regional convening focuses on building capacity to support the use of evidence
- In the news: Maine DOE presents new school support model
- Innovative interim assessments for ESSA accountability? It depends.