The Northeast Comprehensive Center is working with the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education’s (MA ESE) English as a Second Language Model Curriculum Unit (ESL MCU) team and the Office of English Language Acquisition and Academic Achievement (OELAAA) to support the continued development and implementation of model ESL curriculum units. The ESL MCUs take a functional approach to language teaching and are organized around the WIDA Key Uses of Academic Language and Standards Framework. ESL units are focused on systematic, explicit, and sustained language development within the context of the Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks. Each ESL MCU connects to key linguistic demands from an existing content area MCU in ELA, math, social studies and science, but the primary purpose of these ESL units is that of focused and dedicated language study. The ESL MCUs are being piloted and the revised units and accompanying documents and supports are expected to be rolled out in the 2016-2017 school year.
- Regional Initiative Focuses on Strengthening Talent Pipeline
- NYSED 2018 P3 Summer Institute: Effective Teaching and Leading Within a P3 Framework
- NCC Supports New York State Education Department’s Summer Institute
- NCC Supports Roll-Out of New York’s Next Generation Learning Standards
- New York State Revises Prekindergarten Learning Standards