Year 6 Project Overview: Maine Educator Effectiveness
The NCC has helped the Maine Department of Education (MEDOE) prepare for, launch, and monitor its Performance Evaluation and Professional Growth (PEPG) systems. A marked shift from the past, student learning is now a significant component of educator evaluation. Additionally, Maine has committed to incorporate mentor support as a part of PEPG systems to ensure pre-service and beginning teachers have the support and skills needed for success.
Maine has hired a new Coordinator Educator Effectiveness this year to lead this important work. The NCC is assisting MEDOE with PEPG implementation by:
- conducting regional trainings on Student Learning Objectives (SLOs), a core part of Maine’s PEPG systems
- examining current mentoring processes and supports to determine which are promising
- prioritizing and implementing recommendations to improve Maine’s educator workforce
As a result of this assistance, MEDOE will have:
- increased their understanding and knowledge of how to support their districts’ implementation of educator effectiveness systems,
- provided regional professional development sessions supporting districts in the implementation of PEPG, and
- made professional development resources available for ongoing support to districts.
Progress to Date
NCC has collaborated with the new Educator Effectiveness Coordinator during the onboarding process and is finalizing plans for the upcoming months to facilitate the prioritization of stakeholder recommendations and conduct SLO trainings.
Research, Resources and Collaborations
Several of the resources adapted for Maine can be accessed from Maine’s Educator Effectiveness website under the “PEPG General Resources” section. NCC has also collaborated with the Center on Great Teachers and Leaders (GTL) and the Regional Educational Laboratory Northeast and Islands (REL-NEI) in this ongoing work of supporting Maine’s PEPG systems.
For more information, contact Scott Reynolds at email@example.com.